Mission: Accomplished!

Courtesy RG – Devonshire Colts capped an impressive season by clinching promotion to the Premier Division with a comfortable victory at Police Field yesterday.

With BAA Wanderers breathing down their necks, Colts could not afford any slip-ups in their season finale against St David’s.

But with so much on the line, the home team proved equal to the task when it mattered most, coming away with the victory their dominant display deserved.

Carlos Trott, the Colts winger, put the home team ahead before break with a half volley at the back post.

But St David’s hit back through Allan Douglas, the striker, 18 minutes into the second half.

Colts regained the lead through a Jahde Eve goal and then stretched their advantage two minutes later when Lozendro Symonds fired past Kaylin Darrell, the St David’s goalkeeper, to make it 3-1.

Douglas grabbed a second to shave Colts’ lead in interval in the dying stages of the match.

But Eli Smith made the points safe after coming on as a substitute to restore Colts two-goal advantage.

Jay Bean, the Colts coach, praised his team for achieving their objective for the season.

“I am very happy and proud of the guys for what they accomplished this season,” said Bean, whose side also won the First Division Shield this season.

“The guys have been consistent throughout the season and have put in a lot of work.

“The guys are a little disappointed because we didn’t win the league, but our main aim was to get to promoted which we achieved. We also won the First Division Shield, which was a bonus, so it has been a very successful season.”

The home side stretched their opponents with their superior ball movement and went close early in the first half when Trott rattled the bar with a shot from outside of the box.

Colts had a confident appeal for a penalty fall on deaf ears when Terry Foote, the midfielder, went tumbling in the box.

The home team threatened again when Trott’s inswinging corner went untouched at the back post.

St David’s luck finally ran out when Trott broke the deadlock with a well-taken goal at the back post after being afforded too much time and space.

Vernell Lambe, the Colts defender, came close to doubling the home side’s lead just before the interval when he headed against the upright, much to St David’s relief.

The game continued to flow in the same vein when play resumed with Colts maintaining their edge over their rivals.

Colts were forced to make a change when Trott pulled a hamstring and then tempers flared after St David’s goalkeeper Darrell took a nasty knock challenging for an aerial ball.

When cooler heads prevailed Douglas stunned the home crowd when he equalised with a clinical strike from an angle. The striker gained possession deep in Colts’ half, kept his composure under pressure and rolled the ball in at the back post.

St David’s joy was short-lived, however, as Eve scored on a breakaway to restore the home team’s lead.

Symonds secured Colts’ promotion when he fired past Darrell through a phalanx of legs after the St David’s defence switched off.

St David’s striker Douglas made things interesting again when he slotted in his second goal with another neat finish.

But Smith restored Colts’ two-goal advantage when he lobbed the onrushing Darrell after a long ball unlocked the St David’s defence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *