Symonds hat-trick brings Colts the glory

Courtesy RG – Lozendro Symonds struck a spectacular hat-trick as Devonshire Colts came from behind to win the First Division Shield final a year after finishing on the losing end against Somerset Eagles.

The son of former Colts and Bermuda captain, Lorenzo Symonds, was left to lead the Colts attack after striker Kyle Jones was banned along with another Colts player, Quinton Jones, after picking up yellow cards in the semi-final win over BAA Wanderers.

Although Colts were deserved winners in the end, they needed a wake-up call after failing to get a grip on the game in the first half.

“It was real tough in the beginning,” Symonds said. “Kyle is always a big miss but we had to make up for it and work hard.”

Terry Foote was denied by Kelvon Butterfield twice in the opening minutes, the goalkeeper palming Foote’s shot before punching the ball clear at the second attempt. A couple of minutes later the diving Butterfield kept out another Foote effort.

Colts, still unbeaten this season, found themselves trailing in the 40th minute when Social Club took the lead through Jarizinho Simmons after a long ball into the box on the left side caught the Colts defence napping as Simmons was given space to poke the ball home from close range.

Colts, finished the half back on level terms, however, when Symonds scored two minutes into injury time after a similar long ball into the box from a free kick.

Enrique Wilkin’s high ball into the box dropped at the feet of Symonds after an ariel challenge as the Social Club players seemed to wait for the whistle to blow for a foul, but Symonds continued playing and drove the ball home from eight yards.

Things looked a little easier for Colts in the second half with Symonds scoring again in the 65th minute with his best goal of the three after Wilkin sent a pass into the box for Eli Smith who delayed getting off his shot and eventually squared the ball to Symonds to blast into the top corner.

“I just put my head down, put my laces through it and it went into the near post,” Symonds said. “All the work was done by my team-mates.”

Social Club battled hard for the equaliser but the Colts back four stood firm in front of goalkeeper Gregory Rose.

With just five minutes remaining Symonds completed his second hat-trick of the season when he steered home the ball at the near post after a short cross from substitute Treshun Smith was not cleared by the Social Club defence.

Referee Raoul Ming’s final whistle brought relief to Colts whose priority this season remains promotion.

“I don’t know if it was nerves but we didn’t play our best game today,” Ray Jones, the Colts president said.

“Our quality preserved in the end and the goal they got woke us up a bit because it seemed like we were sleep walking.

“This is a bonus, because for the club the main aim is promotion. To the fellas, a job well done. At least we came today and got a piece of silverware.

“As the president I want to hail the coach and players for doing a job.”

– See more at:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *